LIcencia Creative Commons

Thursday, March 31, 2022

LIES AND STANDARDS (MARK TWAIN AND WENDELL BERRY)

@WendellDaily


Moreover, if standards are to be upheld, they cannot be specialized, professionalized, or departmented.Only common standards can be upheld-standards that are held and upheld in common by the whole community

WB

THE LOSS OF UNIVERSITY

“The glory which is built upon a lie soon becomes a most unpleasant incumbrance. … How easy it is to make people believe a lie, and how hard it is to undo that work again!” 

– Autobiographical dictation, 2 December 1906. Published in Autobiography of Mark Twain, Volume 2

The truth is, I did not have to wait long to get tired of my triumphs. Not thirty days, I think. The glory which is built upon [a] lie soon becomes a most unpleasant incumbrance. No doubt for a while I enjoyed having my exploits told and retold and told again [in my presence] and wondered over and exclaimed about, but I quite distinctly remember that there presently came a time [when] the subject was wearisome [and odious] to me and I could not endure the disgusting discomfort of [it.] I am well aware that the world-glorified doer of a deed of great and real splendor has just my experience; I know that he deliciously enjoys hearing about it for three or four weeks, and that pretty soon after that he begins to dread the mention of it, and by and by wishes he had been with the damned before he ever thought of doing that deed; 

(...)
How easy it is to make people believe a lie, and [how] hard it is to undo that work again! 

LIBERTAD DE EXPRESION
En América (como en todas partes) la libertad de expresión está restringida a los muertos.

PERRO
El perro es un caballero.Espero ir a su cielo, no al del hombre.

PLAGIO
El meollo , el alma, la sustancia, el grueso, el material real y valioso de todas las expresiones humanas es plagio.

VERDAD
La verdad es poderosa y prevalecerá.Nada que objetar, salvo que no es así.
Carlyle dijo: una mentira no puede vivir .Demuestra que no sabía como contarlas.

Todas las citas proceden de la obra "Diccionario de Mark Twain", editado por Valdemar, Madrid 2003.



No comments: