LIcencia Creative Commons

Thursday, April 02, 2020

TUCSON MOUNTAINS BY RICK DeMONT




And when the sun puts out his lamp
We'll sleep serene within the camp,
Trusting to his invet'rate skill
Who leads the stars oer yonder hill,
Whose discipline doth never cease
To watch the slumberings of peace,
And from the virtuous hold afar
The melancholy din of war. —
For ye our sentries still outlie,
The earth your pallet and your screen the sky.

From steadfastness I will not swerve
Remembering my sweet reserve.

With all your kindness shown from year to year
Ye do but civil demons still appear,
Still to my mind
Ye are inhuman and unkind,
And bear an untamed aspect to my sight
After the " civil-suited " night
As if ye had lain out
Like to the Indian scout
Who lingers in the purlieus of the towns
With unexplored grace and savage frowns.

HDT

A LAS MONTAÑAS, TO THE MOUNTAINS

Y cuando el sol apague su lámpara
dormiremos serenos en el campamento,
confiando en su perpetua habilidad
que conduce las estrellas sobre esta colina,
cuya disciplina nunca cesa
con objeto de contemplar los reposos de la paz
y mantener lejos del virtuoso
el pensativo ruido de la guerra.
Porque tú nuestras guardias sobrepasas,
usando la tierra como paleta y el cielo como pantalla.

No me retractaré de mi lealtad,
recordando mi dulce reserva.

Con toda tu amabilidad mostrada año tras año,
tú no haces sino aparecer demonios civiles,
todavía ante mi mente
eres inhumano y desagradable
y a mi vista tienes un aspecto indomable
comparado con la noche civilizada.
Como si te hubieras recostado
como un explorador indio
que reposa en las afueras de los pueblos
con gracia inexplorada y desaprobación salvaje.

HDT

(traducción Guillermo Ruiz)


 "It's my private mountain, It belongs to me. God told me if I painted it enough, I could have it."

The Dream Again

I take the road that bears leaves in the mountains
I grow hard to see then I vanish entirely
On the peaks it is summer


 –W. S. Merwin, from his book The Lice, and reprinted in Migration, New & Selected Poems

El Sueño otra vez

Tomo el camino que da la vegetación en las montañas
Crezco oculto a la vista y entonces desaparezco por completo
Sobre las cimas es el verano

No comments: